B104.10.16 From Evidence to Implementation and Evaluation in Public Health
This module introduces public health decision-makers to the process of implementing new evidence on health interventions, the monitoring and the evaluation of public health programmes.
Specifically, the course aims
- to discuss the process of reviewing and implementing new evidence on health interventions
- to argue factually the use of randomized controlled trials or alternative study designs for the evaluation of new and existing public health interventions
- to plan the monitoring of routine health programmes
Finally, the course intends also to address the following issues:
- Ethical arguments
- Study designs and evaluation
- Propose and discuss critically alternative options for program monitoring and evaluation
This course is divided into four main components:
- An introduction to the concept of health interventions and their initial evaluation, including the «development pipeline» for new interventions; the course systematically compares randomised controlled trials and alternative designs.
- A case study on the use of insecticide-treated mosquito nets for malaria control in sub-Saharan Africa: from the very first studies in the field to policy formulation at national and international levels, and finally large-scale implementation and its evaluation.
- A case study on the monitoring and evaluation of the national malaria control programme in Papua New Guinea.
- A case study from Switzerland on the monitoring and evaluation of health programmes.
- Introductory lectures (general principles, specific examples)
- Short exercises based on case studies
- Group work
Group work and presentation
Preparation and postprocessing
10 hours preparation, no postprocessing
- Basic course in the MPH programme
- Other health professionals with basic knowledge of epidemiology and an interest in monitoring and evaluation
- «Bevölkerungsbezogene Daten und epidemiologische Studien verstehen» (B101.20)
- «Konzepte, Methoden und Anwendungen der deskriptiven und analytischen Epidemiologie» (B102.30)
- «Einführung in systematische Reviews und Meta-Analysen» (B105.20)
Schweizerisches Tropen- und Public Health-Institut, Basel
Coordination of course
Prof. Dr. phil. Christian Lengeler, Schweizerisches Tropen- und Public Health-Institut, Basel
Lecturers and tutors
Prof. Dr. phil. Christian Lengeler, Dr. Manuel Hetzel, Dr. Jean-Pierre Gervasoni
10 - 11 November 2016
10 September 2016
Language: English and German